Exec Meeting Minutes for the 19/09/2009
- The meeting opened at five past two.
• [rs] Opening, Apologies, Minutes & Approval, Matters Arising, Secretaries
- report (correspondence), other reports.
- All executive members in attendance, no apologies
- Greg black, simon Ellis, quoll, daniel present.
- The secretary reports correspondence from potential member, conversation flowing from that.
- Treasurer gives report of bank account status.
Treasurers interim report for Executive meeting 19/09/2009
As of 19/09/2009, we have $7037.38 in the bank account
10/09/2009: Deposit of $500.00 from membership takings at AGM.
Total takings from AGM/Renewals: $600.00
On 01/09/2009, $70.00 was banked, this included some pre AGM renewals.
Total float in cashbox: $45.00
Between now and the AGM, there have been no expenses for HUMBUG.
Assets, in terms of value:
1x wrt54gl wireless router, replacement value $59, real value: $25
1x GS116 gigabit switch, replacement value $150, real value: $70
2x SD2008 gigabit switches, replacement value $160, real value: $80
1x JVC video camera. Replacement value: $299, real value: $150
1x Tripod: Replacement value, $200.
1x P4 server, former hydra.meeting.org.au. Value: $50
Other assets I'll list in co-operation with librarian in near future.
- COMPLETED: Treasurer to email report to secretary.
Vice President's Report
Over the course of my first two weeks as the newly elected Vice President I have been involved in organising the Exec meeting. I have also been involved setting up the signatories on the account, helping out the Librarian perform his duties by passing on the information I had, trying to clarify issues presented within the agenda items and just in general settling into my new position. I now have a box containing all old the reciepts and membership forms. On Wednesday I sent an email to John Redfern asking about the status of the network issue we have with Prentice room 212. I gave him a follow up where he said he was looking at couple of things. I asked him to send me an email with details. So far I have not heard back from him.
Talks Liaison Report Have accepted a new talk from Daniel Devine which I have posted details on the wiki. I have also sent out a notice to General about tonights talk by Daniel Mashonkin. I request sent out a request via email Jared Ring (QUT) and Peter Robinson (UQ) asking them to invite their students to attend tonights talk.
On last Sunday (13/09/2009) I picked up the tripod from Tony Bilbrough's place that Shaun Nykvist had offered at the last Exec meeting which was held on the 27/06/2009. It is missing an adapter on the top for tripod.
Event Coordinator Report
Nothing to Report.
- Matthew moves motion to accept report, Steven seconds, motion is accepted.
- Sysadmin report - system up to date. Secret part of backup solution broken
- 4.6 gig free, 40%, average load .3
- Matthew moves motion to accept Sysadmin report, Mark seconds, motion passes.
- Vice presidents report,
- in contact with John from ITS (wrt networking of Prentice room)
- Talks liaison report
- one new talk, Daniel Devine
- Shawn Nikvist permanently donated a tripod for the humbug video camera
- Mark proposed a motion to accept the VP report, Steven seconded, motion accepted.
- Ray Smith joins us.
- The secretary would like to point out Constitution rule 8C and wishes
- to note for the record that if an expense is not pre-approved he will not be approving it.
- The secretary would like to ask people to not pretty up the minute
- Member Elice Wu would like to know if direct deposit is possible. Treasurer responds that it should be ACTION: treasurer to put details of how to deposit into the humbug account on the website.
- ACTION: Organise the opening/closing schedule for the next few meetings.
- ACTION: Steven to put previous list of deputies on the wiki
- ACTION: Change over cheque account signatories with the Commonwealth Bank.
- COMPLETED prior to the meeting.
- ACTION: Sort out cash box keys.
- COMPLETED at the meeting.
- ACTION: Sort out PO Box keys.
- Clinton got marks keys
- ACTION someone to get Scott's old key
- ACTION: Exec meeting and announcement dates sorted out in advance
- decided that yearly schedule too onerous
- next exec meeting decided at the end of each exec meeting.
- motion moved by Mark to have bi monthly, seconded by Russell, accepted.
- ACTION: Ensure exec/positions details are taken down.
- COMPLETED in executive details wiki page.
- Clinton is a little concerned at the privacy implications of having a
- list of meeting members on the wiki, would like to have it removed.
- Raymond says there have been challenges before, need to keep the list
- ACTION: Clinton to make the list private to members.
- Russel moves a motion to put a privacy statement on the web site, as per his email to
- a fairly lengthy discussion on privacy measures ensues. Greg, Ray,
- Simon joined in. The basic problem was deciding whether or not every humbug member should see every piece of correspondence sent to humbug.
- The president elected to let the matter slide as it was too difficult to work out the appropriate wording.
- Russell puts forward a motion to close the existing sysadmin list and replaced with one viewable by all
- Humbug members.
- less of an issue of information being exposed to members vs the public
- Simon: suggests more recent reporting, most members don't want details
- Matthew: privacy issues with requests sent to the sysadmin list, suggests regular reports and doc
- Stephen: thinks this discussion might be resolved by moving to the ticketing system. still thinks there's a good reason to have a private list. better documentation.
- Mark: agrees with Steven. make public information public, make private information private. repeats embargo system suggestion.
- Charles: asks what the sysadmin mailing list is used for. Steven/Raymond/Russell respond: requests, automated mails send it to. suggests that we need a private list and a public list.
- Greg: main harm is that the discussion has derailed the exec meeting. suggests advertising the sysadmin group on the main web site.
- Raymond: doesn't seem much benefit. sysadmins should be producing reports. sees having the librarian as sysadmin manager as a good thing.
- Daniel: wants to keep the mailing list as it is (private) but also lower the threshold of entry.
- Quoll: does not think making the list public will lower the threshold of entry of joining the sysadmin group. sees automatic systems possibly dumping private info onto a public list.
- Clinton puts a motion forward to ask the sysadmins to have a look at any ways they can open up the group and lower the threshold of entry. Matthew seconds and the motion is passed.
- Russell puts forward a motion: The existing Exec list be closed, and be replaced by one
- viewable by all Humbug members. Note on the web site saying private emails to the Exec should be addressed to the secretary. The exec give up and accept the motion.
- President requests exec to send all non private exec mail to general instead.
- treasurer and librarian agree to work with each other about the asset list.
- Matthew puts forward a MOTION: All changes to the Exec roles must at least be voluntary and that
- we shouldn't be forced into new positions as per Russell Stuarts email to the Exec. -- Matthew Franklin
- Russell puts forward a MOTION: The committee adopt reporting practices as per my email to
- exec, except that president does membership lists matt seconds. Clinton is against, but the motion is passed.
Russell puts forward a MOTION: On SysAdmin issues requiring a vote, the voting process is
- managed by the librarian, and be will be conducted via email on the
- managed by the librarian, and be will be conducted via email on the
- Clinton seconds, the motion passes.
- Ray requests more responsiveness from the exec group.
- Ray requests more specific details of what the exec wants from the sysadmin group, a small list is: no more hacks, more reporting, more openness.
- Raymond would like to discuss how we see System Administration working
for the club as we move forward. http://www.humbug.org.au/SysAdmin has some thoughts.
- MOTION: The President be responsible for authorising new Wiki accounts, and
- report on all approved at each Exec meeting.
- Clinton seconds, motion passes.
- Simon - a big thank you to all the previous exec members, Steven moves motion, Russell seconds, Clinton against.
- The next exec meeting is scheduled for the 14th of November, with the two week announcement on the 31st of Cctober.
cr - Clinton Roy, secretary rs - Russell Stuart, president
reopend at four thirty
russell moves a motion to authorise $20/month for hosting caliburn, lump sum or otherwise
a lot of discussion of possible hosting solutions for humbug.
the president moves a motion that the vm is shifted away from robert by the next exec meeting or humbug pays for the hosting. seconded by steve.