Meeting & Minute Information
* Time and Place 27/06/09 15:14, Hawken Engineering Building(50) room T103
- Present: Russell Stuart, Mark Ellem, Matthew Franklin, Stephen Thomas, Shaun Nykvist, Clinton Roy, Daniel Devine.
- Apologies: None.
Minutes Written by Matthew Franklin
Shaun Opened the meeting at 3:14pm. Asked that we discussed what had happen between this meeting and the last. He thank Russell for the quick response that he gave to the issue of vote for Presidency. Shaun then asked for general status reports to be given by members.
- Matthew Franklin (AV and Schwag Bag)
- AV Setup: Gave a summary of the basic layout and the advance layout that he posted to the lca list. This involved 2 parts. A basic Setup and a more advanced setup. The Basic setup would be camera, video grabber (for the slides) and a pc which would grab AV feeds and save to harddrive which would then be rsynced to main AV server/server farms. The more advanced system would be broadcasting the AV feed to the local network. He also stressed that the final cut release that would be available on the web would need to be signed off by the speakers. The main software so far looks like gstreamer (which he is having issues with the firewire camera input) for the video streaming and Kdenlive for the editing.
- The Rooms: He Stress that before he really settled on anything he needed to know more about the rooms and the AV layout at QUT. Matthew contacted Shaun since the last meeting. This was about getting in touch with the QUT AV guys. He also mention about the contact that he had with Ausgamers and the offer of lending professional gear. He passed this information to Shaun. This would be good to check what the difference is between the profession gear and store bought equipment.
- Shaun Nykvist (President and Media Promotion and Venue)
- QUT Restructuring: There will be some possible construction at QUT during the proposed time for the conference. Shaun will continue to meet and talk with staff at QUT with regards to the venue and seek to ensure that we have some firm advice with regards to the venue. Shaun has already spoken with Professor Mark Looi (Head of School, IT) and had verbal support.
- Learning from others: Shaun has been in a few talks with colleagues (Mary) who have organized a conference at QUT's Kelvin Grove Campus for a large group of people in 2008. This will help develop an idea of obstacles and lessons learn't from the experience. Shaun knows that the network and AV are very similar on both the Gardens Point Campus and the Kelvin Grove Campus.
- Sponsorship: Russell has passed on Brisbane Marketing and all of his other contacts. He wants to create a special members only section for details and ideas for sponsorships on the wiki. He has already sent quite a few emails out andis awaiting responses. He will talk to Ausgamers soon.
- Helping with Open Day: Shaun has made contact with QSITE (QLD Society for Information Technology in Education). The hope is to ask them how we could get Schools and ICT support staff involved with the Open Day. He knows that a few members share a passion for Open Source and hopes to use this to get support.
- Russell Stuart (Dinners and Events)
- Dinners and Events: Russell has been working quite hard to get quotes from places for the various dinners. He has managed to round up quite a few quotes which he has now posted on the wiki. He has also sent out a summary of this list to the lca list.
- AV software: He has also worked quite hard with Matthew to help him with sorting out what software and codecs might be the best. It was his idea of using Gstreamer.
- Suggested using GDocs (Along with Arjen) to do the budgets.
- Mark Ellem (Treasurer)
- Budget: Mark has now setup a budget on Google Docs. He has an outline of the budget which he hopes the other members fill in with their quotes. He has also found out that Google Docs does have a revision history which is very useful. Clinton suggested creating a separate sheet of estimates and one for final document which would only be edited by Mark. Mark is looking at implementing that idea. Clinton talked further to Mark about the general structure of the docs. How it should look and work.
- Budget access: Mark wants people to email their gmail usernames so that he set them up on the account so that they may then begin to edit the budget.
- Bid Document: Mark also wants the bid document to be a Google Doc as well so that we can all work on it. Shaun stated that we really need to gather all our information before we begin on the document. However there was a few positive comments about going down that path but no concrete yes or no.
- Stephen Thomas (Papers, Speakers and Keynotes)
- Knowing the Right Steps: Stephen is very new to this so he is trying to build up a full understanding of what is involved. He has a rough idea of how it should go together but needs more information. Shaun suggested that he start looking a the other years website to get a firmer grasp of what was required.
- Clinton Roy (Open day)
- Contact Local Hardware Groups: Clinton has is in the process of trying to get in contact with the Hardware groups like the he Brisbane HAM radio group to get them involved with the open day.
- Daniel Devine. (Assistant website designer)
- The Website. Daniel wants to get information in regards to what he can do about the website. He has a few ideas lined up but he really needs to contact James Iseppi for further information
- He is looking at helping out with bid document. His girl friend is also a still photographer and he has suggested that she might be able to supply profession pics (Head shots and group shot for the bid document) He intends to take a look at various graphics tools. Most notably a look at Scribus, Gimp and Inkscape.
So the job of the lca team as a whole is to get more information. The more specific jobs are Matthew needs to post the meeting minutes within 24hours to the lca list then if there are no objections post this to the general list and onto the humbug lca wiki. Mark needs to setup the Google Docs and to work with the other LCA team members so that they have acess.
At the very end a normal, but long term and trustworthy member of HUMBUG Simon Ellis want to volunteer for the lca event if and when it happens. He is happy to do basic jobs for the group but doesn't want any executive roles.
It was decided to meet again in two weeks time at 2pm just before the next HUMBUG meeting. This will be held in Prentice Building(42)] room 212 on the 11/7/09.
Meeting Closed at 3:50pm.