[rs 2007-09-25] QUT has given us their official letter of support, which describes what they are committing to supply.
- [jr 2007-05-22] The accommodation at the KG Urban Village will hold 455, due for completion by start of 2008 Academic Year
- [ji 2007-04-14] Some new student Accommodation is being built at QUT KG. I've got some contact details that I'll follow up with.
[rs 2007-04-13] Yikes! The response from Mark was quick! We must discuss the accommodation and keynote theatre options at next Humbug meeting.
[rs 2007-04-13] Spoke to jared via IM, asking where they were at. Sounded like they were concentrating on other things right now. (Google for "Cheddar Horsemen".) Said I would send an email saying what had to be sorted soon.
- [ji 2007-04-10] The largest room at GP according to Facilities Management is 500 seats. KG and CA don't have anything bigger.
- [rs 2007-04-05] Contacted Jared to see how Mark was getting on with the accommodation. Jared said: 'Mark said its sorted'. Must find out how it was sorted. However there seems to be some issue with hiring the large lecture theatre.
[rs 2007-03-24]. Sent the email I promised to jared.
[rs 2007-03-20] Met with QUT ITEE head of school (Mark Looi) and PhD student of his (Jared Ring). Mark & Jared had approached LA earlier about hosting LCA see email QUT sent. They were very keen, as expected. Mark has major requirement at his disposal: 6 lecture theatres holding 250-600 each. Mark wanted to know various numbers which I said I would send him as soon as I got them off aj. There are outstanding issues to be resolved. Mark said he would get back to me with two weeks about there resolution. The issues are:
- Accommodation. We need to cheap accommodation for a lot of people. This is a show stopper. At first glance QUT does have this available. Mark has various ideas he wanted to sound out.
- Availability of a lecture theatre capable of holding all attendees. QUT has one such theatre (capacity 1200 people), but it is centrally administered. It will have to be booked, and will probably cost money.
- [rs 2007-02-27] Met with UQ ITEE head of school (Paul Bailes) and other lecturers here. Meeting was not about LCA, but I did mention it and describe the benefits. No reaction at all. We would have to formally ask them again I guess.
This is a page for deciding on a venue. There are some things a venue must have.
Size. We are guessing the conference will be around 1000 people. So the site must have one theatre that can hold 1000 people. The smaller theatres must cope with 100 to 500 people.
Price. Free is good. It can't be much more expensive than free.
Accommodation. This is a hobbyist conference. We need to accommodate a lot of people at around $50/day, or less, including daily transport.
Lesser considerations. (Please add to this list):
- Restaurants [rs].
- Novelty of location (eg Gold Coast is better than Brisbane) [rs].
- Nearby cheap amusements (gardens, museums, pubs, other conferences) [rs].
Ideas so far:
- Brisbane City Hall (JI) Apparently only interested in 1-2 day events (JI)
- QUT GP (JI)
- UQ St Lucia (JI)
- Griffith Nathan (JI)